Yesterday, I jumped at the chance to see Inception, Christopher Nolan’s latest film, in IMAX and was blown away. I’m going again to see it this weekend and will post a full review then when my brain has a chance to process it all. For now, here a few quick SPOILER FREE thoughts:
- The story was nothing what I had imagined it would be based on the promos and marketing. Although in retrospect, they weren’t misleading the audience either.
- Nolan did a great job of establishing the “rules” of his world and letting the characters work within them. This is also attributatable to Nolan’s scribe brother, Jonathon, who I thought took a labyrinthe story and conveyed it quite clearly.
- Not only does the writing set straight a story with many twists and turns, but so does Nolan’s direction, allowing us to see many places at once and using film’s unique ability to stretch time to his great advantage.
- The last shot will have you chuckling – in a good way
- Both Ellen Page and Joseph Gordon Levitt impressed me with their ability to retain clout onscreen and in what is essentially an action movie
- Wally Pfister loves his twinkle lights
- Shallow depth of field and slow motion cameras are awesome :)
- Go see it now!